We need to constantly remind ourselves that we need to take care of ourselves. We are a priority and should never take ourselves for granted.
Here are my top 10 things that helps me reset and feel better.
1) Listening to music: This is even better when you can let loose and dance or sing a bit. Sing from the top of your lungs, dance like no one is watching you. Just be wild for a bit.
2) Reading a book: Just the small escape from reality helps. It stops you from thinking too much about current problems and it allows you to keep the imagination flowing.
3) Working out/walking: I’ve noticed ever since I’ve been exercising more it has made me more physically healthier and overall a little happier. Sweat it out, it gives you that sense of relief and you put all that built up negative energy into something that would overall benefit you. Even just a simple walk and surround yourself with nature.
4) Writing: In this case, blogging has made me happier. You can keep a journal and just write all your emotions out. Have a jar of all the things that made you feel accomplished throughout the year. Keep a gratitude journal. Maybe be a little more creative and write poetry or a novel.
5) Hugs: Just overall hug a friend, a family member, your spouse, a pet, a pillow. Anything. I know with COVID I’m sure we’ve all been a lot less affectionate, but we’re humans and affection is know to make people happier.
6) Cleaning/declutter: I’m actually surprised about this one. Lets face it.. who actually likes cleaning? I’m sure not many people do and its such a chore. But I don’t know about you.. but when things are organized and clean, I feel a huge sign of accomplishment and relief. Sometimes even just seeing things really disorganized is enough to make me feel stress.
7) Hobbies: For me its painting and diamond art. Sometimes I also like playing video games. We need to give us some sort of time to unwind.
8) Dates: Either it be a date with a significant other, a family member, a friend or even by yourself. Go do something you really want to do.
9) Skincare and physical health: I’m honestly terrible for not taking my supplements as often as I should; but when I do remember to take them… I feel great and energized. I also feel good about myself when I take the time to take care of my skin.. cleanse/moisturize/exfoliate/shave. Take care of your nails and give it a fresh coat of paint. Do a spa night. Eat good food. It’s all a part of making yourself feel good. Its okay to treat yourself to a greasy burger or slice of pizza… but don’t over do the bad comfort foods.. although it helps you feel mentally better (or so you think it is), it is doing more harm to your body than good.
10) Shows/movies: Honestly just sitting back and watching a movie or show you really want to is an amazing feeling too. Don’t depend the screens too often, but in moderation is good. Feel sad? Watch a comedy. Watch something that you know will make you feel happy.
Bonus: While doing 90% of the stuff above, I usually have some sort of drink in hand. Water, tea, hot chocolate, coffee or a glass of wine.